HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MANDA MOO!!

It's hard to believe that my little sister turned 22 today. Not long ago (or so it seems), we spent our days jumping on the trampoline, swimming in grandma's pool, playing in the snow with Kelsey and fighting over the front seat.

But now she's all grown up. In some ways, she's wise beyond her years - more mature and emotionally intelligent than many of her elders. I think her maturity is rooted in a strong sense of self and desire to do good. Life has thrown many obstacles in her path, and she's overcome most of them, always wanting to exceed people's expectations and prove them wrong.

Although I don't often tell her, she's a source of inspiration for me. She has no idea that I've kept a copy of the newspaper article she wrote in my journal for the last five years. Aptly titled, "Being happy with who I am," her story is about acceptance and learning to love yourself in spite of any shortcomings. Manda writes "Overall, my limitations have made me who I am. They have improved me, not defeated me. I am happy with the person I turned out to be." She shares this outlook with everyone - encouraging anyone who will listen to think positively and appreciate what they have.

When I'm feeling sad, I can always count on one of her goofball stories to crack me up. When I'm angry, she always listens. When I'm confused, she offers advice. And most importantly, when I'm happy, she always shares my excitement as if it were her own - cheering, laughing and sometimes even jumping up and down to celebrate whatever good news I have. Virtually all of her friends and family members rely on Manda to be that person they can count on. That's why she has so many close relationships.

So, Moo, I hope your birthday is fantastic. Everyone deserves a day to be appreciated and celebrated - especially you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jen-that was the most heart felt journal entries that I have ever read by anyone before. You write from the heart and that's what makes you such an inspirational writer. I have always looked up to you for so many years because you have shown so much wisdom and strength than anyone I have ever met before. I love you Jen and you have been by my side thick and thin. We may not always show it but we are very close sisters and we have been through a lot together and I always look back on the wonderful memories we have shared and I am so grateful for all of them. Love you Jen. Thank you for such kind and encouraging words.
Anonymous said…
You guys are both incredible. I have never felt so proud to be your Mom

Popular Posts