I finally went to Baptiste yoga studio and crossed #7 off my to-do list. Since it was my first real yoga class, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, although I was warned that it would be very hot. We went to a Bikram yoga session, where they crank the heat up to 90+ degrees.
But I like it hot. That is, until the assistant helps you stretch and drips sweat all over your face (yuck). But aside from the unintentional splatter of someone else's sweat, it was very calming. For those 90 minutes, I let go of the stress and anxiety I was feeling, cleared my mind and focused solely on my breathing (which also helped prevent me from fainting).
Although I did better than I had expected, I was clearly a novice. It took me three tries to correctly roll up my new mat and stuff it in its mesh bag (which in my opinion, is just too small). But maybe next time it'll only take me two tries.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Here are some of the highlights from my fantastic, fun-filled weekend (hopefully, pictures will soon follow):
- Ice cream sandwiches in the sunshine
- Flip flops on Friday (despite my horrific self-pedicure)
- Creation of the "sappy, girly, awesome" playlist
- Authentic Polish kielbasa and sauerkraut
- Coronas, laughs and inappropriate conversations with crazy coworkers
- Dancing and debauchery into the wee hours of the morning
- Crab Rangoon and sweet/sour chicken at 2 a.m. (which I'm convinced led to crazy nightmares)
- Sleep until 2 p.m.
- First ones to hit the dance floor at Roxy's gay night
- Four go-go dancers in Speedos and bandannas (Goober was a good sport)
- Greasy, delicious, piping hot pepperoni pizza
- One long (but somehow still fun) hour in the rain trying to catch a cab
- Live jazz, homemade oatmeal and decadent eggs Benedict at Johnny D's