Sandwich snob


It's no secret that I'll eat just about anything. In fact, many of the common gross-out foods, like Brussels sprouts, anchovies and sushi, are actually my favorite. Although I'm not generally a picky eater, I'm kind of a sandwich snob (which, I know, probably sounds like an oxymoron).

There are rules to good-sandwich making. A fresh, crusty roll with a soft and squishy center is an essential foundation for a truly tasty sammy. Condiments should never take the spotlight, while wilted lettuce and unripe tomatoes should never make an appearance. And – this one's important – it absolutely, positively must be sliced in half.

When done right, my all-time favorite is roast beef on a hard roll with American cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, black olives, and a little mayo. If I’m really hungry, a small cup of creamy artichoke soup is a perfect side. I practically dream about this lunch when I'm planning a trip home because nothing compares to the the local, hole-in-the-wall deli, Hold the Pickle.

How do I describe the best deli ever to open? I love everything about it. The creative daily specials with silly names like "porky pig." The refrigerator stocked with every possible flavor of Stewart's soda. The laid-back atmosphere and the friendly, hippie, bandanna-wearing staff.


I had my first "minnie" turkey club at HTP after a field hockey game. Since then, I've been addicted to big, fat, messy grinders. They say addicts don't consider the consequences when they're in need of a fix. So, it should come as no surprise that I was almost suspended in high school for ditching class to get a turkey grinder – quite a severe punishment, I know. But even if I had gotten in trouble, it would have been worth it.

In the summers, when I waitressed at a nearby Austrian restaurant, I spent many lunch breaks devouring monstrous subs and gulping orange 'n cream sodas. Sporting my dirndl (aka German barmaid costume) from the previous shift, most people couldn't resist the urge to make fun of my silly outfit. But once I took my first bite of perfection, I didn't seem to notice the points and giggles, and I didn't care that I looked like a complete goofball.

When I went away to college, I became concerned with animal rights and ecological sustainability. After nearly two years of being a strict vegetarian, I gave in to temptation. My food of choice? A six-inch roast beef hoagie from HTP stuffed with the works.

So, you can imagine how disappointed and surprised I was to see a new sign in front of the old HTP building. A new deli, called Litchfield Catering Company, has taken it over. No matter how good their sandwiches are, I'll always feel a little let down.

Comments

Manda said…
I love your journal about the HTP. I hope that it's loacted in a different area. I can't imagine not going to HTP this summer. I love you and you're an incrediable writer. love you.

Popular Posts