Ballerina at heart



The moment I set foot in the Dance Complex, it felt familiar. As I climbed the stairs to studio 6, I felt like 12-year-old Jen on her way to ballet class with Ms. Lafonde. I suddenly wished I was wearing a leotard, leg warmers and ballet shoes.

But the dance workshop I was headed to didn't require any particular type of clothing. It didn't even require rhythm. I was going to dharma jam, a meditative, creative movement class. I had no idea what to expect, and I was beginning to feel apprehensive when only four of us showed up.

The theme of this class was interdependence. We were to imagine ourselves as being leaves on a tree and allow our movements to be influenced by both the music and each other. It was like no other improvisational class I've been to. There was no structure; no judgment. We simply moved as we felt.

By the end, my energy had been completely transformed. My feelings of stress, anger and apprehension were swiftly converted into calmness, happiness and acceptance.

But I was also excited to have found the Dance Complex, a hidden gem that I had walked past without noticing countless times. I can't wait to take some ballet, contemporary and maybe even African dance classes! For all those who want to get their groove on, check out www.dancecomplex.org.

Comments

Manda said…
i am glad to hear that you are taking up dance classes again. i know how much you loved going as a 12 year old kid. i'm very happy for you. you're doing something that you've always had a passion for GOOD FOR YOU!!!! i am proud of you.
katie said…
manda really is your biggest fan...she is a great cheerleader...have fun with the classes

Popular Posts